The mission of Baker College is to provide quality higher education and training which enable graduates to be successful throughout challenging and rewarding careers.
Eleven Guiding Principles
- Highly Effective Programs and Delivery Systems
- Disciplined Fiscal Management
- Willingness to Change and Adapt
- Continuous Improvement
- Right to Try
- Customer Focus
- Strong Image
- Accountable for Mission, Stated Values, and Public Trust
- High Work Ethic of Employees
- Team-Oriented Atmosphere
- Community Orientation
Baker College, a leader among institutions of higher education in assuring career readiness and employment of its graduates, offers highly effective academic programs which are accessible, market-driven, career-focused, and lead to employment and career advancement for its students.
To that end, the College will
- Design and deliver quality academic programs that lead to employment opportunities in meaningful careers.
- Continually review programs for current and future employability of graduates.
- Include learning experiences which reinforce collaboratively-developed student learning outcomes and align to standards supported by accrediting/approval bodies, advisory boards, employers, and/or industry.
- Require competency-based evaluations within courses to ensure students possess knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for obtaining gainful employment.
- Embrace accountability, using external measures when available and appropriate, and develop internal measures when no appropriate external measures exist.
- Provide undergraduate students with relevant work experiences that enhance their learning and employability.
- Maintain a comprehensive assessment framework that supports academic leaders and faculty in consistently measuring student learning and continuous improvement.
- Employ the Understanding by Design model as the primary tool for all curriculum development.
- Effectively engage and retain students through the widespread application of the concept of learner-centered instruction.
- Recruit and develop academic leaders and faculty who embrace accountability to create, implement, and assess program effectiveness.
- Employ and retain academic leaders and faculty who work to support the College’s mission and Guiding Principles, as well as possess appropriate academic and professional credentials and relevant work experience.
- Provide continuous professional development to academic leadership and faculty that enhances assessment, quality curriculum, and effective teaching and learning.
- Use a faculty evaluation tool that focuses on the growth and development of quality teaching and learning and simultaneously addresses continuous improvement.
- Identify, develop, and reward program champions.
- Use data derived from literature, best practices, and careful internal study to revise curriculum and support services.
- Provide consistent and proactive academic and career advising to promote persistence to graduation.
- Provide convenient scheduling options to students by delivering courses and programs through a variety of equally-effective delivery methods, including both traditional and innovative models.
- Enhance students’ learning and success by providing appropriate and effective academic support services which are intentionally integrated into the students’ educational experience.
Baker College is a private, non-profit 501(c) (3) tuition-driven institution. As such, it employs successful business practices and maintains a strong focus on responsible financial management. Maintaining sound business practices and prudent fiscal management are essential for both the health and longevity of the institution. To that end, the College will
- Perform within stated net profit and working capital percentages that ensure sustainability of mission and quality.
- Provide timely, accurate, and relevant financial data to all key stakeholders.
- Maintain a meticulous budgeting and financial reporting process.
- Monitor key indicators on a continuous basis.
- Invest prudently in property, plant, technology, and human capital.
- Maintain a low debt-to-equity ratio by using long-term funding only for major plant additions.
- Use current operating capital to fund the vast majority of fixed assets for fiscal year operations.
- Operate a lean corporate structure that affords a balance between customer affordability and quality.
- Perform at a high level on both internal and external audits.
- Demonstrate a strong internal control structure.
- Set aside capital surpluses on an annual basis for the growth of the Jewell Education Fund and strengthening of campus balance sheets.
- Use the majority of earnings from the Jewell Educational Fund for student scholarships thereby increasing access and affordability.
- Employ fiscal policies that result in the ethical stewardship of all resources entrusted to the College.
- Utilize a fair and competitive benefit package.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations and industry standards.
Baker College is an agile organization that changes and adapts to internal and external conditions.
Baker College recognizes its willingness and ability to change/adapt is essential to the success of the institution and its students, faculty, staff, and other stakeholders. To that end, the College will
- Promote entrepreneurial and innovative thinking which leads to positive change processes that benefit all stakeholders.
- Encourage and support faculty and staff who help the College adapt to rapidly changing market conditions.
- Demonstrate its commitment to being a quality-driven learning organization through its dedication to developing the potential of students, faculty, staff, other stakeholders, and the institution as a whole.
- Identify, develop, and support leaders who have a vision of the College as an agile institution that promotes creative and effective change.
- Aggressively seek out new programs that correspond to its mission.
- Seek out mission-appropriate opportunities in new markets.
- Conduct ongoing appraisals of all operations, programs, and processes.
Baker College maintains an organizational culture that supports and actively promotes continuous improvement through the Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP).
Baker College engages in continuous improvement as a key strategy necessary in achieving the institutional mission and purposes. To that end, the College will
- Continually administer AQIP projects that enhance student learning as well as reinforce and develop attributes of “High Performing Organizations.”
- Align AQIP with strategic planning and major initiatives.
- Emphasize continuous improvement as the goal of all System, Campus, and Divisional meetings.
- Collect and store quantitative and qualitative data from stakeholders for regular review, analysis, and interpretation to improve practices, policies, and programs across all divisions.
- Employ key performance indicators as a measurement to evaluate continuous improvement efforts and ensure institutional effectiveness.
- Actively seek data and measurements from other post-secondary institutions for validation and benchmarking.
- Offer employees ongoing training in the specific skills and abilities needed to participate actively in continuous improvement.
Baker College is committed to an admissions philosophy which encourages enrollment of all persons who have attained a high school diploma or GED and meet minimum foundational skill-level requirements.
Baker College takes great pride in providing high quality, accessible, post-secondary education through the belief in and practice of a Right-to-Try principle. The College believes that all people have potential and deserve access to quality higher education. Furthermore, the College asserts that those individuals who have a sincere desire to study and apply themselves can benefit from the vast array of programs and services the College offers. To that end, the College will
- Seek a student population that represents diverse cultural, educational, and demographic characteristics.
- Maintain support services that proactively address the needs of underprepared students.
- Enhance students’ abilities to meet college-level expectations through timely and innovative best practices.
- Foster an environment that embraces a learner-centered approach, one that establishes clear expectations of the learner and the College.
- Recruit and maintain faculty and staff who embrace the needs of a diverse student population and are committed to providing access and the opportunity for success to all types of learners.
Baker College is an institution at which outstanding customer service is embedded in every aspect of its operations.
Baker College creates an environment in which all internal and external customers feel valued through enthusiastic and gracious treatment prevalent at all levels of the organization. To that end, the College will
- Train and evaluate supervisors and leaders to model and reflect excellent treatment toward our ultimate customers, our students.
- Measure the quality of its services through objective and independent surveys that provide data necessary for industry and internal comparisons as well as identify areas for improvement.
- Deliver friendly, immediate, and knowledgeable customer service to all stakeholders.
- Empower employees to make decisions that lead to the best possible outcome and prevent inconvenience or delays for students and stakeholders.
- Foster an environment in which all employees recognize that high quality service is vital to the continued success of the College.
- Recognize outstanding customer service when provided by our employees.
- Partner only with organizations that share our high standards of customer service.
- Provide all visitors with a memorable experience based on the friendly and courteous nature of our faculty and staff.
Baker College actively manages its information technology portfolio to deliver superb customer service and employs technology to support a robust teaching and learning environment. To that end the College will
- Be recognized by students, faculty, and staff for excellence in service and as a partner that provides solutions.
- Deliver secure, highly-available, reliable, and innovative information technology resources.
- Proactively manage its information technology infrastructure, architecture, applications, development, and investment priorities to support growth and environmental change.
- Capitalize on information technology opportunities to improve efficiency and optimize cost-benefit strategies.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance in both academic and administrative environments.
- Deliver business intelligence tools to enhance data-driven decisions.
- Provide professional development opportunities within the information technology division to empower and support our employees in delivering excellence in service and solutions.
- Leverage an information technology governance structure that effectively links business and information technology strategies.
Baker College aspires to gain wide recognition among its stakeholders as the preeminent career college.
Baker College’s high-quality career education and training programs are portrayed to the public through consistent promotion, branding and marketing, and unwavering employee professionalism that reflects exemplary institutional values. To that end, the College will
- Conduct ongoing marketing campaigns that creatively represent the value of its career-oriented programs and the success of its graduates.
- Ensure that all internal and external communication, including social media, is consistent with our mission and meets established standards for quality.
- Continue to train faculty and staff on its product differentiators and the value and necessity of quality career-oriented education and training.
- Promote professional, courteous, respectful, and ethical conduct for everyone in the campus community.
- Require employees to dress and comport themselves in a professional manner that reflects exemplary institutional values during the course of business or whenever in the public eye.
- Sustain a “like-new” philosophy that maintains the pristine appearance of its facilities through systematic capital replacement to eliminate all deferred maintenance.
- Maintain daily housekeeping programs that insure the highest possible level of institutional cleanliness at all times.
- Fund staffing and equipment that contribute to a safe learning environment.
- Educate the entire campus community in practices that provide a safe and secure environment.
Baker College accepts full accountability for its mission and takes responsibility for the trust and faith placed in the institution by its many stakeholders.
Baker College is accountable to its stakeholders for high rates of graduate employment and high rates of graduates employed in their fields of study. To that end, the College will
- Strive for 100 percent employment and related employment of available graduates.
- Build extensive employer networks that further the mission of the College.
- Communicate to all employees their responsibility to contribute to the successful employment of graduates.
- Provide the necessary human resources, training, and technology to meet graduate employment goals.
- Report ethically and objectively all employment-related performance measurements.
- Provide access, coaching, and advising to students selecting a field of study and graduates seeking employment.
- Provide lifetime employment assistance to graduates.
Baker College is accountable for the responsible, accurate, and ethical administration of all student financial aid programs. To that end, the College will
- Provide current and prospective students with timely, accurate, and transparent data relative to cost of attendance.
- Promote comprehensive financial aid packaging in an effort to minimize the dependency on student loans for the direct costs of education.
- Proactively assist students in the prevention of student loan default through financial literacy programs and effective and timely communication throughout the entire financial aid process.
- Demonstrate compliance with all federal and state regulations in the administration of financial aid through an on-going internal audit process that identifies potential errors and liabilities and evidences compliance to internal and external stakeholders.
Baker College employees possess a strong work ethic, an intense commitment to its mission, and high standards of personal accountability and integrity.
All employees, regardless of position, will champion the mission, purposes, and guiding principles of Baker College. To that end, each Baker College employee will
- Demonstrate an outstanding work ethic.
- Possess and adapt appropriate skills for the position.
- Produce work of measurable high quality.
- Be accountable for individual and organizational goal achievement.
- Seek creative solutions to typical and atypical work issues that arise as a part of the job responsibilities.
Employees of the College in leadership and supervisory positions will foster an environment that allow employees to excel. To that end, the leadership of the College will
- Lead from core values based on the mission, beliefs, and guiding principles of Baker College.
- Contribute substantively to mentoring and leadership development.
- Engage in succession planning that ensures that the mission of the College remains vibrant and vital.
Baker College believes that employees are its most important asset and promotes a team-oriented environment that results in harmony and cooperation within the institution. To that end, the College will
- Create a work environment that values the importance of professionalism, mutual respect, tolerance, and understanding for all employees.
- Manage human resource issues in a constructive and non-punitive manner.
- Seek and value employee ideas and opinions.
- Develop clear and supportive communication and positive relationships within and among departments, campuses, and the system.
- Employ face-to-face communication whenever possible.
- Proactively address employee, departmental, and divisional disputes.
- Require supervisors and leaders to understand and support the needs of their employees.
- Utilize team-based approaches to meet strategic and operational objectives.
- Require open, honest, and transparent communication from its leadership and across all divisions of the College.
Baker College is a community-based organization which builds lasting relationships in all of its service areas.
Baker College views the local community as its primary source of students and as the primary employers of our graduates. To be successful as an educational institution and as a business, Baker College models corporate citizenship which reflects positive social values in all its pursuits. To that end, the College will
- Maintain and foster community involvement as a key component of College culture.
- Encourage and support its officers and directors in holding leadership positions in key professional, civic, and service organizations, both locally and regionally.
- Create and lead collaborative initiatives that are mutually beneficial to students, employers, and the communities we serve.
- Promote lifelong learning through comprehensive K–16 collaborations.
- Support local businesses and agencies through patronization to the fullest extent possible.
- Continue strong commitment to our communities to advance their growth and sustainability.