Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q. What should I bring to college?

A. Alarm Clock · Bed linens/towels · Carpet/throw rug · Chair/Couch/Bean bag · Computer · Cup/mug/glass/plate/bowl/silverware · Dish Soap · Fan · Fish (maximum 10 gal tank) · Handi-Tak to hang posters · Hangers · TV/VCR/DVD player · Iron · Laundry bags/detergent · Medicine · Microwave · Plants (real or fake) · Radio/stereo · Rolls of quarters for laundry · School supplies · Sewing kit · Shower caddy · Telephone · Toiletry items

Q. How do I become a residence hall student?

A. The first step to becoming a Residence Hall student is to let your Admissions Advisor know that you would like to be a part of campus housing. There will be several documents that the Resident Life office will require, but to start the process, you should fill out the housing application located in the front of the catalog or online and pay the required deposit.

After Residence Life receives your application, paperwork will be mailed to you. It is very important to return these documents as soon as possible to validate your desire to live on campus.

They include:

  • A housing characteristics questionnaire
  • A licensing agreement
  • An official transcript

Baker has a few restrictions for living on campus including but not limited to: 

  • Students must be between the ages of 17-24 
  • Students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credit hours
  • Student must be clear of criminal & sexual conduct activities verified by submitting to a background check.

Q. Something has been damaged in my room, how do I get it fixed?

A. If something has been damaged or not working, please let us know!

Our Facilities Department has a hotline (231-777-6578) that you may call 24 hours, 7 days a week. You may even call to have a light bulb replaced! When calling the facilities hotline, please include the following information to describe the damage in a brief message:

  • Full name
  • Campus address
  • Brief description of the damage/ appliance not working

Q. When does the shuttle run?

A. The shuttle bus schedule varies from quarter to quarter.  Please use this link to view the current schedule:  Shuttle Schedule

Please note: Bus times are approximate and may arrive or leave five minutes earlier or five minutes later. Please plan accordingly to allow for varying times. Also, the Baker College shuttle is ONLY for students who live on campus.

Q. When is the Residence Life office open?

A. Weekdays, 9:00am - 4:00pm

Q. How do I operate the phone in my room?

A. Instructions explaining how to operate the room phones in the townhouses will be included in your check-in packets upon move-in or click HERE.

Q. My roommate(s) and I don’t get along, what should I do?

A. If you are having roommate(s) difficulties, please do the following: Talk to your roommate(s) about what is bothering you. Often students have poor communication with their roommate(s) and fail to make basic, courteous requests. Contact your RA. Resident Assistants have been trained to assist you with roommate(s) issues. They would be happy to discuss your concerns. If you have tried the last two steps and are still having roommate(s) conflict, please contact your Residence Hall Coordinator (RHC).

Q. When will I get my housing/roommate assignment?

A. If you are starting at Baker College of Muskegon in the fall quarter, your housing assignment will be mailed to you by mid August. If you are starting with us in either the Winter, Spring, or Summer quarters, you will receive notice of your assignment in the mail two weeks prior to the academic quarter. The assignment letter will include roommate(s) names, phone numbers to contact them and your future Baker College of Muskegon residence hall address. If you have specific questions please contact the Residence Life Office.

Q. What will my room look like? What are the dimensions?

A. Each room on our campus varies. You can check out the room dimension standards by clicking HERE. Please call to ask specific questions or stop by in person to take a tour.

Q. What is TRANSITIONS? Do I need to attend?

A. TRANSITIONS is a program created by Residence Life to aid our new-to-housing students with their transition into the college lifestyle. You can view the TRANSITIONS schedule from this past fall by clicking HERE. To learn more, please contact the Residence Life Office.

Q. I’m constantly asked for my UIN. What does it mean?

A. UIN stands for “Unique Identification Number.” This unique number is our way to quickly reference your personal records. You will need your UIN everywhere you go, so please remember it.

Q. I’ve lost my ID card. What should I do?

A. If you misplace your ID card, you will need to contact Campus Safety immediately for a replacement. There will be a small charge associated with the replacement.

Q. How do I connect to the internet?

A. Instructions to connect to the internet are included in your check-in packets. If you have additional questions please contact the Residence Life office or visit http://www.baker.edu/current-students/muskegon/resources/residence-life/computing-on-campus/.

Q. What is work-study and how do I apply for it?

A. Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a form of financial aid awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and meet certain eligibility requirements. You must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (and possibly other financial aid documents required by your school) to determine your eligibility for FWS. Be sure to mark "yes" to the question on the FAFSA that asks if you are interested in student employment. If you are eligible, your FWS award will be listed on your financial aid award letter. If you have already filed your FAFSA for this year and did not demonstrate interest in FWS but are interested now, you should visit your school's Financial Aid Office (FAO) to determine your eligibility. You must complete a new FAFSA each year for continued consideration in the Federal Work-Study Program; the money you earn through this program is not used to determine your financial need. Your total FWS award depends on your application date, your level of need, and the funding level of your school. If funds are not available, you may be put on a waiting list as long as you are eligible.

Job Positions

The work-study program encourages employment in community service and in fields related to your major of study. Job positions can be either on-campus or off-campus. Most off-campus positions will be at private nonprofit agencies or public agencies and will be in the public interest. For most schools, once you accept the FWS award on your award letter, you will be sent information regarding the steps you should take for securing a FWS job. Generally, you will have to interview for a position. Check with the Financial Aid Office to get a list of available on-campus FWS jobs.


At the very least, you will earn the current federal minimum wage, but that amount may be higher depending on where you work and the type of work that you perform. For instance, if you work off-campus, you may earn more money in order to cover driving expenses. Your FWS earnings are considered taxable income.


The amount of money that you earn cannot exceed your total FWS award. When assigning work hours, your employer will consider your total award and your class schedule. Average work schedules are from 10 to 15 hours a week. Check with the Financial Aid Office to see what the limit is on how many hours you can work per week. Work-study hours are flexible. Remember: school should be your first priority!

Q. My friend/family wants to come visit. When can they visit?

A. Our specific visitation hour policies are listed in the Residence Hall Guideline book. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Residence Life office.

Q. My GPA is below a 2.0, can I still live on campus?

A. If your GPA falls below a 2.0, you are no longer eligible for housing according to our requirements. However, the Residence Life staff have set up an Academic Success Program (ASP) that allows you to continue to live in housing with under a 2.0 if you are apart of the program. There are certain requirements involved in the program such as: checking in with your Residence Hall Coordinator (RHC), maintaining 85% class attendance, and remain discipline free. Please contact Alexsis Globig at the Residence Life office if you are concerned about your academics.

The Baker College System