Teaching Strategies for a Learner-Centered Classroom
Strategy: Article Abstract
Intent: Provides active strategies for students to read and analyze articles in a discipline.
- Instructor selects an important article from discipline being studied.
- Students write a summary or abstract of the article.
- Provides students a chance to think critically about research being conducted in their discipline.
- Students can develop an understanding of research concepts as they relate to their discipline.
- Students learn how to comprehend and explain a research article.
- Students might be required to find their own articles, pending approval by the instructor, instead of having one provided.
- Students might find another article that promotes a divergent perspective from the original article, write an abstract, and compare the two views.
- Bean J. C. (1996). Engaging Ideas: The professor’s guide to integrating writing, critical thinking, and active learning in the classroom. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishing.