- » Departments
- » Effective Teaching and Learning
- » Quality Teaching and Learning
- » Question Creation
Teaching Strategies for a Learner-Centered Classroom
Strategy: Question Creation
Time: 5-20 minutes
Intent: To have students develop a set of questions related to class content or a problem.
- Have students brainstorm possible questions related to course content.
- Have students select 2-3 best questions and explain why each question is a good question.
- Encourages students to think critically about course content.
- Can be used to generate potential questions for projects, exams, checks for understanding, etc.
- Students can write questions on flip chart pages and post them around the room. This is especially useful if other students are expected to provide answers.
- Questions can be answered by other students as part of a larger assignment or class discussion.
- Alternatively, instructor can answer questions posed by students as part of the instruction.
- Suggested use of this activity with a news article:
- Generic Question Stems