Think Write Pair Share
- » Departments
- » Effective Teaching and Learning
- » Quality Teaching and Learning
- » Think Write Pair Share
Time: 10-15 minutes
Intent: This is a good way for you and your students to verify what has been learned by comparing lecture notes, doing a quiz review, checking for comprehension on reading assignments, and responding to discussion questions.
- Pose a question or problem to your students such as:
- Summarize in your own words __________.
- What is the difference between __________ and __________?
- How does __________ affect __________?
- What is another way to look at __________?
- If you apply __________ how does it affect __________?
- Give students a couple of minutes to reflect and write a response to the question or problem posed.
- Have each student pair with another student to compare/contrast answers.
- If the answers are not in agreement, have students explain to each other how they reached their answers, and decide on a mutual response.
- Ask a few students to share their own answers, their partners’ answers, or the discussion they had with each other.
- Allows students time to formulate an opinion on a topic and then share it with another student before sharing with the entire class.
- Class size is not an obstacle because this activity can be used with any size class to get students involved with the material.
- Activity is a good “warm-up” to use during earlier class sessions if you plan to increase class discussions as the term progresses.
- Even if their answers/responses are incorrect, students are still learning as they discuss the problems with a partner and come up with the correct responses.
- A shorter version of this - Think/Pair/Share (minus the individual writing) can be used if time is limited.
Think-Pair-Share (1:30 minutes)