How to Apply for a Loan

In order to apply for a loan, you must first apply for financial aid. See How to Apply for Financial Aid for further information on this process.

After the Financial Aid Office receives the results of your financial aid application, your file will be reviewed.  The Financial Aid Office will determine your eligibility for grants, scholarships and loans.  You will receive an award notification with this information included.

  • New students, without access to the Baker College SOLAR SYSTEM, will receive this information by mail with instructions.
  • Returning students will receive an e-mail notifying them to view their award letter on the Baker College STAR SYSTEM. 

After you have reviewed your award notification, if eligible, you can apply for a loan(s) through one of the following two options:

Option One: Returning students with access to the Baker College SOLAR SYSTEM can apply online using the following steps.


  • Log into the Baker College "SOLAR SYSTEM".
  • Select the "STAR SYSTEM".
  • Select the "Financial Aid Office".
  • Select "Loan Request".
  • Complete and submit your loan request via the web.
  • Once the loan request has been submitted, you will either:

Be done because a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling is already on file.

Be linked to a page that indicates you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and/or the Entrance Loan Counseling.

Option Two: New students without access to the Baker College SOLAR SYSTEM will receive a paper loan request form with the award notification in the mail. You must then:

  • Complete the loan request form and return it to the Financial Aid Office for processing.
  • Once the loan request has been processed by the Financial Aid Office, instructions will be sent on where to locate information online to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and/or Entrance Loan Counseling, if needed.

Federal regulations require students to complete entrance loan counseling prior to receiving his/her first student loan. If you previously borrowed a Stafford loan through another school and completed Entrance Loan Counseling, you will need to complete it again and select Baker College as your school choice.

It's That Easy!!

The Baker College System