Loan Limits

The tables below show the maximum amount you can borrower each academic year and the total aggregate loan limits based on your dependency status and grade level. Whether you are considered dependent or independent, it's based on your age, marital status and other factors. The Financial Aid Office can inform you of your dependency status. All graduate/professional degree students are considered independent.

The actual loan amounts and types of loans (subsidized, unsubsidized or a combination of both) that you are eligible to receive each year are determined by the school. Your eligibility is based on such factors as the cost of attendance, expected family contribution, other financial aid and the length of your program. The actual amounts you are eligible to borrower may be less than the maximum amounts shown below.

Annual Loan Limits for Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Grade Level

Undergraduate Studentsa

Undergraduate Studentsa

First Year Freshman

$5,500 (maximum $3,500 subsidized)

$9,500 (maximum $3,500 subsidized)

Second Year Sophomore

$6,500 (maximum $4,500 subsidized)

$10,500 (maximum $4,500 subsidized)

Third Year (Junior) and Beyond

$7,500 (maximum $5,500 subsidized)

$12,500 (maximum $5,500 subsidized)

Graduate/Professional Degree


$20,500 (maximum $8,500 subsidized)

a Dependent student whose parents are unable to get PLUS Loans are eligible to receive the independent undergraduate loan limits.


Aggregate Loan Limits: Maximum Total Outstanding Loan Debt


Undergraduate Studentsb

Undergraduate Studentsb


$31,000 (maximum $23,000 subsidized)b

$57,500 (maximum $23,000 subsidized)c,d

Graduate/Professional Degree



b Excludes dependent students whose parents are unable to borrower a PLUS Loan.
c Includes dependent undergraduates whose parents are unable to borrower a PLUS Loan.
d The graduate/professional degree student maximum includes Stafford Loans received for undergraduate study.

How much should I borrower?

It's a good idea to borrower only as much as you need. That way, you'll have lower monthly payments when you're repaying your loan(s). This will leave you more money for things like housing, child care and the expenses of starting a new career when you leave school.

How can I reduce the amount I need to borrower?

When you file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you'll automatically be considered for aid from all of the programs offered by the U.S. Department of Education, including grants and work-study. You may be able to find additional sources of aid on your own, for instance, try a free scholarship search on the web. The Department has a free search engine on Student Aid on the Web at

Additional Information

Below are some additional web sites to help you locate further information on the Federal Direct Loan Program.

The Baker College System