Baking and Pastry
Our students have been extremely successful in competitions…gold medals, best of shows…– Chef Luis Amado Director, Baking and Pastry Program
The Baking and Pastry Certificate program prepares you for employment in retail deli bakeries, fine dining restaurants, pastry and bakery shops, commercial baking, and hotel and resort bake shops.
In this program, you will:
- Learn through classroom study, hands-on training, and work experience.
- Receive extensive training in the development and preparation of breads, pies, pastries, cookies, petit fours, specialty breads and pastries, fruit bars, tortes, centerpieces, wedding cakes, and international desserts.
- Prepare for any one of a variety of positions in the industry — assistant pastry chef, assistant baker, head baker, lead baker, wedding cake decorator, and executive pastry chef.
Visit The Culinary Institute of Michigan online.
For more information about our certificate programs, including graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the programs, and other important information, please visit www.Baker.edu/gainfulemployment.
This program is part of the Baker College Smart Degree Option.
- The median annual salary for a Pastry Chef is about $56,100.
- Employment of Chefs, Cooks, and food preparation workers is expected to increase by 11 percent by 2016, which is about as fast as average.
- While certification is not required, it can help to prove accomplishment and lead to advancement and higher-paying positions.