Bachelor of Science in Education
Elementary Teacher Preparation - Language Arts
We have a lot of teachers that are actually working in the classroom…. So a lot of their stories, experiences, and the training they give you, it’s actually real-life… something you can use when you go to your own job.– Lora Randolph Baker graduate
As an elementary school teacher, you have the opportunity to make a significant impact in the lives of the students you teach.
In this program, you complete the language arts major and the elementary studies minor. This gives you the knowledge and skills necessary to receive a Michigan provisional elementary teaching certificate, which allows you to teach:
- All subjects in kindergarten through grade 5.
- All subjects in kindergarten through grade 8 self-contained classrooms.
- Language arts in grades 6 through 8.
Upon graduating and passing the required state tests, you will be eligible to apply for certification.
- The average annual wage for Elementary Teachers is about $50,000.
- Employment is expected to grow by 12 percent through 2016, about as fast as average. The pool of teachers is large, so job prospects are excellent.
- In some schools, two or more teachers work as a team and are jointly responsible for a group of students.
- Or a teacher may teach one subject to several classes.
- A small but growing number of teachers instruct multi-level classrooms, with students at several different learning levels.
- Teachers may move into other positions within the school, such as librarian, reading specialist, instructional coordinator, counselor, administrator, or mentor teacher.