I came to Baker because the faculty was great!
- Programs & Degrees
- Student Services
- The Baker Difference
- About Baker
- Campus Locations
Baker College Online Selected Top Military-Friendly School in 2014 GuideDecember 16, 2013
Military magazine received record number of applicant schools
FLINT, Mich. – Baker College Online has been awarded the designation of “Top Military-Friendly College” by Military Advanced Education (MAE), a journal of higher learning for members of the U.S. Armed Forces.
The award is timed to the publication of MAE’s 2014 Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities, with information about institutions that go out of their way for the U.S. men and women in uniform.
“We are extremely honored by this designation,” said Shawn Mann, director of military and veteran education programs for Baker College. “MAE is the military education industry’s leading go-to journal for education service officers (ESOs), transition officers (TOs), base education offices at every U.S. military installation, active-duty service members they counsel and colleges and universities engaged in the active-duty voluntary education market.”
Baker College was ranked high by MAE in all five primary categories:
- Military culture
- Online support
- On-campus support
- Financial assistance
“Our staff used strict criteria to evaluate the submissions of a record number of schools this year,” said Kelly Fodel, MAE editor. “We believe the Guide serves as an invaluable tool for ESOs and TOs when advising service members about their educational opportunities.”
Mann said that the Baker College staff is prepared to work with each service member and veteran on a case-by-case basis to determine the best way for that person to earn a quality, higher education degree.
“To stay current on veteran- and military-related issues, our admissions advisors participate in weekly training sessions and the veteran certifying officials from each Baker College campus throughout Michigan meet quarterly,” he said. “The success of our country’s military members and veterans is important to us. They also bring maturity, diversity, leadership and life experiences to the classroom that benefit fellow students and faculty.”
Among the attributes that MAE staff evaluated this year included the flexibility of online and on-campus learning options, extent of transfer credits accepted by degree level, Servicemember Opportunity Colleges (SOC) participation, on-campus active-duty/veteran assistance, support provided to service members’ families, faculty trained in veteran-reintegration issues and full-time counselors trained in veteran-specific mental health concerns.
All educational entities that participated in the survey are included in the Guide, which is in MAE’s December issue and available online at http://www.mae-kmi.com.
The school listings also include the survey questions, answers and explanations about critical issues such as activation, deployment and withdrawal policies, scholarship and financial aid information and other important support information.
For information about Baker College Online and Baker College Center for Graduate Studies, contact the admissions department at 800.469.3165 or [email protected].
Military Advanced Education (www.mae-kmi.com) serves ESOs and TOs at every U.S. military installation, along with the service members they counsel. Published 10 times yearly, MAE’s editorial coverage includes exclusive interviews with military executive leadership, educators and members of Congress; best practices; career and transition spotlights; service member, school and program profiles; and periodic special reports. Serving as a unique forum for senior military and Department of Defense leadership, KMI focuses on distinct and essential communities within the defense market.
- How do I apply for a student loan?Once you have applied for financial aid, you will receive a Financial Aid Notification package from the Financial Aid office. Your FAFSA serves as the application for the Student Loan. If it is determined that you qualify for student loan funds, the eligibility amounts will be listed on your award notification, and a student Loan Request Form will be included with the award package. The Loan Request Form must be completed and returned to the Financial Aid Office before the loan process can begin. If you are a new student and would like to request student loan funds to help cover your educational expenses you will need to:
- Complete the paper loan request form indicating the amount you would like to borrow.
- Sign and date the form.
- Return the form to the Financial Aid office.
- Log into the SOLAR system.
- Select STAR System.
- Select Financial Aid office.
- Select Loan Request.
- Select the appropriate financial aid year and click Continue.
- Select the type of loan you would like to request and click Continue.
- Read the Stafford Loan Request Authorization information and click I Agree.
- Type in the requested dollar amount and click Submit Request.
- How do online classes work?After you enroll, and are accepted to your online program, you sign-up, or "register" for your first courses. Like all Baker Online students, you will begin your online experience with a three-week online class designed to orient you to the Baker Online classroom, and review the expectations and requirements of Baker Online students. When you have completed this course successfully, you can move on to additional online courses.
- Is Baker College Online accredited?Baker Online is part of Baker College, a private, non-profit, accredited, degree granting, higher educational institution with locations throughout Michigan. As an accredited college, Baker College has been granted legal authority by the state of Michigan to operate as a nonprofit educational corporation and is empowered to grant certificates, associate, bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees. It is approved for veterans’ benefits. Baker College is recognized as an institution of higher education by the U.S. Secretary of Education, U.S. Department of Education. All Baker Online undergraduate and graduate programs are accredited by The Higher Learning Commission / 230 South LaSalle St., Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411 / 800-621-7440 / www.ncahlc.org Baker College is an Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) participant. Some Baker Online graduate programs have additional accreditation:
- The MBA program has international accreditation through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
- The Occupational Therapy program also has accreditation through The Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE).
- Does Baker provide any help in my job search?As a graduate of Baker College, you are eligible for our Lifetime Employment Services, which include:
- Job searching techniques
- Resume and cover letter assistance
- Job interview questions
- Job postings
- Relocation tips
- Is Baker accredited?Yes. Baker College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission / 230 South LaSalle St., Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411 / 800-621-7440 / www.ncahlc.org. Baker College is an Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) participant.
Baker has also earned specialized accreditations for programs and degrees in:
- Business Administration
- Engineering and Technology
- Health Sciences
- Human Services
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- How can I send a copy of my official transcripts to another organization?To access your transcripts, log into the SOLAR System, select the Star System and select the Academic Office. Once there, click on the transcripts link.