Baker’s direct credit and dual enrollment options have affected my education in ways I never could have imagined.
- Programs & Degrees
- Student Services
- The Baker Difference
- About Baker
- Campus Locations
Baker College’s Flint Campus Presents $2500 Leadership ScholarshipMay 23, 2017
The Leadership Scholarship is awarded annually to a student attending Baker College’s Flint campus who demonstrates academic achievement and either a commitment to community service or a successful balance of work, family and school obligations. Kimberly Sharp, of Flushing, is the recipient of the top 2017 Baker College Leadership Scholarship award of $2,500.
“Kim demonstrates that not only can you do it all, you can do it all well,” said Wen Hemingway, MBA, CTP, Baker College of Flint president. “Kim is an incredible role model. She serves her family, church and community, and she does it while carrying a heavy class load and maintaining a high GPA.”
Sharp expects to graduate in June with a bachelor’s degree in interpreter training. She is vice president of the student Hands in Motion ASL (American Sign Language) Club, a junior member of Quota International, and a member of Gamma Beta Phi, an honor and service society.
She volunteers for the Angel Tree Prison Fellowship project, Crossover Downtown Outreach Ministry, North End Soup Kitchen and Special Olympics. She tutors children and works with autistic children. A deaconess at First Baptist Church in Flushing, Sharp assists with baptisms, communion and funerals, and visits the elderly and shut-ins. She has worked with teenagers at her church for 10 years and has completed missions in the U.S. and around the world. She recently volunteered with a group of teens to help at the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan.
- How do I apply for a student loan?Once you have applied for financial aid, you will receive a Financial Aid Notification package from the Financial Aid office. Your FAFSA serves as the application for the Student Loan. If it is determined that you qualify for student loan funds, the eligibility amounts will be listed on your award notification, and a student Loan Request Form will be included with the award package. The Loan Request Form must be completed and returned to the Financial Aid Office before the loan process can begin. If you are a new student and would like to request student loan funds to help cover your educational expenses you will need to:
- Complete the paper loan request form indicating the amount you would like to borrow.
- Sign and date the form.
- Return the form to the Financial Aid office.
- Log into the SOLAR system.
- Select STAR System.
- Select Financial Aid office.
- Select Loan Request.
- Select the appropriate financial aid year and click Continue.
- Select the type of loan you would like to request and click Continue.
- Read the Stafford Loan Request Authorization information and click I Agree.
- Type in the requested dollar amount and click Submit Request.
- How do online classes work?After you enroll, and are accepted to your online program, you sign-up, or "register" for your first courses. Like all Baker Online students, you will begin your online experience with a three-week online class designed to orient you to the Baker Online classroom, and review the expectations and requirements of Baker Online students. When you have completed this course successfully, you can move on to additional online courses.
- Is Baker College Online accredited?Baker Online is part of Baker College, a private, non-profit, accredited, degree granting, higher educational institution with locations throughout Michigan. As an accredited college, Baker College has been granted legal authority by the state of Michigan to operate as a nonprofit educational corporation and is empowered to grant certificates, associate, bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees. It is approved for veterans’ benefits. Baker College is recognized as an institution of higher education by the U.S. Secretary of Education, U.S. Department of Education. All Baker Online undergraduate and graduate programs are accredited by The Higher Learning Commission / 230 South LaSalle St., Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411 / 800-621-7440 / www.ncahlc.org Baker College is an Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) participant. Some Baker Online graduate programs have additional accreditation:
- The MBA program has international accreditation through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
- The Occupational Therapy program also has accreditation through The Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE).
- Does Baker provide any help in my job search?As a graduate of Baker College, you are eligible for our Lifetime Employment Services, which include:
- Job searching techniques
- Resume and cover letter assistance
- Job interview questions
- Job postings
- Relocation tips
- Is Baker accredited?Yes. Baker College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission / 230 South LaSalle St., Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411 / 800-621-7440 / www.ncahlc.org. Baker College is an Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) participant.
Baker has also earned specialized accreditations for programs and degrees in:
- Business Administration
- Engineering and Technology
- Health Sciences
- Human Services
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- How can I send a copy of my official transcripts to another organization?To access your transcripts, log into the SOLAR System, select the Star System and select the Academic Office. Once there, click on the transcripts link.