Resident Program

Baker College is authorized under the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service to enroll nonimmigrant students who wish to pursue a full-time undergraduate or graduate degree.

We welcome and encourage application from international students. However, because our international student population is small, Baker College does not maintain special international student services or an international student center.

Start the Application Process Early

Give Yourself plenty of time. You should request application forms and special instructions at least one year before the quarter you want to begin.

  • Your application must be filed at least 90 days prior to the beginning of the quarter in which you expect to enroll.
  • If your application is approved, Baker College will mail a letter of acceptance and a Form I-20 directly to you.
  • If you are a nonimmigrant student, you need to present the I-20 upon application for a student visa in your country and again upon arrival in the United States.

To help you get started, we have combined the forms and information you need in one packet:

  • After you fill out and complete the International Student Packet, submit all the information to the Baker College campus you plan to attend.

Campus Residence Halls

Most of the students who attend Baker College are from the Michigan area, live at home, and commute daily to campus. For students who want to live on campus, we have student residence halls on our CadillacFlintMuskegon, and Owosso campuses. These residence halls may close between terms. If so, you may need to arrange for other accommodations for that time period.

Requirements for Application

As an international student, you must meet several requirements before Baker College can officially consider your application. You must have an official place of residence in your native country, to which you will return when studies are completed.

  • You must have personal funds or a sponsor who can verify the availability of $22,200 (U.S. currency) for graduate programs and $24,120 (U.S. currency) for undergraduate programs for the first academic year (9 months) of study. This amount covers tuition for 3 quarters of study and normal living expenses.
  • You must deposit, in advance, an amount equal to at least the tuition, fees and books for the academic year. The deposit must be renewed prior to registering for the fall quarter of each succeeding year. Any unused amounts will be refunded to the original depositor.
  • If you have a sponsor living in the United States, you must provide a completed Sponsor Financial Support Form.
  • If you are a visa candidate, you should be aware that no financial aid of any kind (scholarships, grants, loans, or employment) is available for international students.
  • If you are immigrating to the United States, and have an Alien Registration Number (green card), you may be eligible for financial aid.
  • You must provide a transcript (an official academic record) showing satisfactory completion of secondary school or its equivalent, as well as any post-secondary school (college/university).
    • A transcript in any language other than English must be accompanied by a certified, literal English translation.
    • You must utilize an evaluating service approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Visit to select a service provider.
    • The approximate fee for this service is $160.
    • Ask them to send the translated transcript directly to the Baker College campus you plan to attend.
  • You must satisfy Baker College requirements by demonstrating that you are capable of competing with native speakers of English on equal terms.
  • You must be proficient in the English language before applying, and be able to demonstrate your proficiency by meeting minimum standards on the Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).


TOEFL Minimum Scores

Paper Test

Computer Test

Internet Test

Undergraduate Programs




Graduate Programs




Doctorate Programs




To take the TOEFL test, apply directly to Educational Testing Services (not to Baker College). For information about test dates, fees, testing centers, and to obtain registration materials, contact:

TOEFL Services

P.O. Box 6151

Princeton, NJ 08541-6151

Phone: (609) 771-7100 or (877) 863-3546

Fax: (610) 290-8971

[email protected]

Ask TOEFL Services to send your TOEFL scores directly to the Baker College campus of your choice. Baker College must receive official scores before admission will be considered.

Health and Accident Insurance

The United States does not have free medical facilities, so we encourage you to obtain health and accident insurance as a necessary precaution during your studies at Baker College. This type of insurance is often available through your own country at affordable rates. If you do not have health and accident insurance coverage upon arrival, you should obtain insurance in the United States prior to enrolling at Baker College.

We're Here to Help
Ready to take the next step?

Contact us today to speak with a
Baker admissions expert.

Errors highlighted in red
affiliated-institution-4 themed themed--adi