Surgical Technology / Sterile Processing Technician
Essential Functions - Surgical Technology
These technical standards reflect performance abilities and characteristics that are necessary to successfully complete the requirements of the program at Baker College. These standards are not conditions of admission to the program. Persons interested in applying for admission to the program should review this information to develop a better understanding of the physical abilities and behavioral characteristics necessary to successfully complete the program. The College complies with the requirements and spirit of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Therefore, the College will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for participants with disabilities who are otherwise qualified. Safely access, prepare, and operate equipment and supplies in a variety of settings.
- Assist with transport and transfer of equipment.
- Utilize instruments, supplies, and equipment safely within the sterile processing suite.
- Perform tasks such as, but not limited to, appropriately tracking surgical supplies.
- Respond appropriately to activation/warning signals on equipment.
- Communicate and respond appropriately to written and verbal commands.
- Demonstrate positive interpersonal skills during interactions with patients, staff,
- faculty, and health care team members.
- Demonstrate appropriate procedural judgment decisions under stressful and/or emergency conditions.
- Prioritize, organize, and utilize time-management skills to provide sterilized materials efficiently meeting deadlines (i.e. surgical schedule).
- Recognize potentially hazardous materials, equipment, and situations and proceed safely
- in order to minimize risk of injury to patients, self, and nearby individuals by
- referencing, utilizing and adhering to OSHA requirements such as MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) and universal precautions.
- Adhere to HIPAA, professional standards and code of ethics, Baker College conduct
- guidelines, and clinical sites' policies and procedures.