Get help with your tuition. Grants are available for all Baker campuses.

Grants can come from the Federal government, the State government, Baker College and private organizations. Unlike scholarships, which are merit-based, a grant award is typically based on financial need and does not have to be repaid.

There are several types of grant aid available to Baker College students. 

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grants

Pell Grant funds are available to undergraduate students who have not received their first bachelor degree. The amount depends on the student’s financial need, cost to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. Learn more about Pell Grants.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is available to undergraduate students. The amount depends on the student’s financial need, cost to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. Baker College awards SEOG, on a first come first serve basis, to returning students who qualify for Pell and who demonstrate the greatest financial need. Students awarded SEOG are not eligible to receive BCRS. Learn more about SEOG.

Federal Workstudy

Undergraduate students may be offered opportunities to work part time to earn funds for college expenses. This may reduce loan obligation and may be combined with other types of aid such as grants and scholarships. Work-study eligibility is based on financial need; however, all Baker College students are welcome to register with Baker College for regular, part time employment. Learn more about Workstudy.

IRAQ and Afghanistan Service Grant

A student may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if they are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of their Expected Family Contribution but meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements and their parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11 and they were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of their parent’s or guardian’s death.


State of Michigan Financial Aid

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant         

The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG) provides undergraduate tuition assistance for children of certain deceased or disabled members of the armed forces of the United States. The program assists children older than 16 and less than 26 years of age, who have been Michigan residents for 12 months prior to the application. To be eligible, a student must be the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. Stepchildren of the veteran are not eligible.

Fostering Futures Scholarship

The Fostering Futures Scholarship (FFS), State of Michigan* program, provides scholarships to young adults who have experienced foster care. The State of Michigan works with individuals, community organizations, and businesses to encourage charitable contributions that go towards Fostering Futures Scholarship funds. Awards are paid directly to the students’ institution to assist with unmet need.

Gear Up Michigan

Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) is a federal program designed to provide early intervention services and programs to students in middle schools and high schools. Students may receive scholarship assistance for up to four academic years within five years of high school graduation.

The maximum amount a student can receive for one year is equal to the maximum Pell Grant award funded for the academic year immediately following the student’s date of high school graduation.

Michigan Competitive Scholarship

The Michigan Competitive Scholarship is available to undergraduate students pursuing their first degrees at an approved Michigan postsecondary institution. Students must demonstrate both financial need and merit. Eligible applicants must have a qualifying SAT score of at least 1200 (starting with the Class of 2017). Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1 to receive priority consideration. The amount of funds available is announced annually by the State.

Michigan Tuition Grant  

The Michigan Tuition Grant (MTG) is available to undergraduate students and is based on financial need for use at independent non-profit degree-granting colleges and universities in Michigan. Students attending at least half-time may be eligible to receive a grant from the State of Michigan. Students must complete the State of Michigan questions on the FAFSA by March 1st to receive grant consideration. The amount of funds available is announced annually by the State.

Tuition Incentive Program

The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) is a high school completion program that offers to pay college costs for students who graduate from high school or complete their GED. There are two phases to this program (Phase I and Phase II). The program targets needy students in an effort to encourage them to graduate from high school or complete a GED and continue on into post-secondary education.



The qualification for need-based financial aid programs is determined by the cost of attending a college of the student’s choice, minus the amount that the student and his/her family can reasonably afford.

Cost of Education – Expected Family Contribution = Financial Aid Eligibility

The Expected Family Contribution is the amount that the student and their family is expected to contribute toward the student’s education. For a dependent student, the need analysis formula utilizes the parent’s income and assets (excluding home equity), savings, taxes and other mandatory living expenses to determine the parent’s contribution.

All students (dependent and independent) will have a student’s contribution, which is derived by analyzing the student’s income and assets. The formula for calculating the expected family contribution also takes into consideration parent’s ages, number of family members and number of family members in college.

In addition, a student must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to continue receiving financial aid.

Federal Student Aid provides more information including financial aid, financial calculators, information about educational loans, scholarship information and more.

We're Here to Help
Ready to take the next step?

Contact us today to speak with a
Baker admissions expert.

Errors highlighted in red
affiliated-institution-4 themed themed--adi